Friday 15 February 2019

Street food

You won't starve in Thailand that's for sure. For a cheap meal you only have to seek out your nearest hawker market. There was one only a couple of minutes walk from my hotel.


My first dinner in Chiang Mai this trip was noodles with pork balls for only 40B. I ordered by pointing to selections on a laminated menu at the stall. Portions are smaller but this means you can sample more dishes.


At another market I stopped for a drink of coconut water infused with butterfly pea flower. I realised that this was the flower that was used to colour rice blue in Malaysian kuih.


Another night I had this simple dinner of rice and squid fried with morning glory. This is another vegetable I remember from Malaysia, where it's called kangkong.


Yet another evening I had this dish of roast pork on rice. It's very similar to the Cantonese siu yuk fan.


For street desserts, you will see mango with sticky rice everywhere. This was taken on a foodie walking tour, which will be in another post. I can't say I like this much, but apparently it's something that every visitor to Chiang Mai is supposed to try once.


I like fruit for dessert and I was intrigued by these orange sized pineapples. Note that the vendor has removed the eyes by cutting a spiral pattern, to minimise waste of edible flesh. They were bite sized and sweet enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment